It’s no big secret that we at I, Geek love board games so much we spend a week out of our year at the Board Game Geek Convention held annually here in the Dallas area. We’ve mentioned the “Con” a great many times in our podcast discussions and I’m sure the references won’t stop any time soon. So a quick warning to anyone about to give this episode a listen. This one is ALL about the Board Game Geek Convention. Well, at least 90% of the episode is about it. You see, we wanted to do an episode devoted to what the Con is and what to expect for anyone attending for the first time. We also wanted to make everyone aware of things during the Con that you may not have known about to begin with whether you’ve attended every year or not. This is our level best attempt at a Convention overview.
That being said I want to hit on a few things we discuss in this episode:
- Lee starts off the episode with an eye opening way in which to address the board gaming hobby to those who might not know what its all about. This is a much simpler and easier way to broach the subject than many of us have ever tried before. Rest assured we at I, Geek will be using this from now on!
- We discuss the types of gamers you see at the Con. Disclaimer: We aren’t making fun of people. We’re more discussing the types of gamers that grace the Con every year and what kind of niche each group falls into to. It’s more of a fun look at the people you meet and meant as nothing more than a way to put a smile on your face.
- We also get into the Con itself, discussing everything from when to get to the line on the first day to what each day looks like. We spend a lot of time discussing special events that take place throughout the week.
- We also get into things to do outside of the Con. One of the many threads we see pop up from time to time on The Geek is the question of things to do other than the convention. We delve into places and things to visit as well as local eateries.
- We end the episode with a tie-in discussion of VivaJava: The Coffee Game. This particular game has a special place in our memories when discussed in conjunction with the Con. It’s where we “learned” the game and generally the most popular place for the I, Geek team to play the game. It’s a fun discussion and one you’ll want to wait around for.
I know this topic is geared more toward a particular crowd so you might want to think about avoiding the show this week if you aren’t particularly interested in the Con or general Con discussion. But even if you aren’t attending this year and there’s a chance you’ll attend in the future, then by all means give it a listen. I know its not good practice to warn people about an episode, but I wanted to be fair and clear to all of our fans before you invest time into this week’s show. All the same, thanks for the continued patronage and we look forward to getting back to normal gaming news and hi-jinx soon.
One last thing. This is the longest show we’ve done by far. It’s just at 90 minutes and we enjoyed ever single second of recording it. We hope you enjoy listening to it as well. Happy Gaming!
Note: All images used for this article are trademark images of BGG, LLC. We are using them to showcase the site and it’s convention. We have not and will not receive any monetary sum both from BGG, LLC or any other parties through the use of this article or podcast.
Share and Enjoy