It is always video game Christmas this time of year. Big releases around the corner and of course the massively popular Electronic Entertainment Expo, better known as E3. This year’s E3 was just as over the top as year’s past with a few major announcements. In this episode we spend some time outlining what we considered to be highlights of the expo before we get into a discussion of the first and only installment of the Zelda franchise on the Super Nintendo… The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past!
The lovely and wonderful thing about living in 2016 is that we have the ability to attend E3 without leaving the comfort of our home. I’m acutely aware that its not the same as actually being there, but let’s face it… we’re not in the industry, we have real jobs outside of this hobby podcast that we do, and we all have wives that would most likely laugh in our faces if we asked to attend. That being said, we did our level best to watch what we could, when we could, and listen to any interview the publishers and designers were willing to give.
Highlights of the show:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- God of War!!! And its Scandanavian!
- Some Star Wars mention but not really what anyone wanted
- Pretty much all of Playstation’s conference line-up. Playstation was the clear winner of the show with Nintendo’s Zelda demo a close second.
- Bethesda was boring. I actually fell asleep watching it.
- EA was predictable and showed very little in the ways of Mass Effect which is super disappointing.
- Microsoft has a new’ish console coming out.
- Spiderman has some serious potential.
- Kojima has let his freak flag fly since leaving Konami.
- Once again we slog through an E3 without any mention of Metroid and that hurts my heart.
All that being said, we’re looking forward to the next few years of gaming. This was a mixed bag for E3. We at I, Geek agree that last year’s expo felt more exciting and overall ranks as a better conference. 2016 missed out, or I should say, companies at the 2016 E3 missed out. There were some great games showcased but there were some real duds. Now we just have to wait and see how all of these games play out.
Side note: No Man’s Sky was bumped back and is now set to release August 9th. Another month and a half is no big deal, though Sean Murray, the creator of the game, has received death threats for this delay. Gamers gonna be crazy for games I guess. Hopefully the delay will make for a much more amazing game.
Share and Enjoy